Why be happy?
Why Not? Life is short…Be Happy!
You will live ten years longer, reduce anger, have less stress and confusion, have better focus, better patience and self control, access greater intelligence, utilize wisdom, experience emotional competence, create inner peace, enhanced relationships, and enjoy your life while enriching others with your happiness.
Being happy can make a positive difference in your life and in the life of others.
225 Studies on the Benefits of Happiness*
Happy People are:
1. Are more productive at work and more creative
2. Make more money and have superior jobs
3. Are better leaders and negotiators
4. Are more likely to marry and to have fulfilling marriages, and less likely to divorce
5. Have more friends and social support
6. Have stronger immune systems, are physically healthier, and even live longer
7. Are more helpful and philanthropic
8. Cope better with stress and trauma
*FROM: Lyubomirsky, S., King, L. A., & Diener, E. (2005). The benefits of frequent positive affect: Does happiness lead to success? Psychological Bulletin, 131, 803-855.
Happiness is a habit, a way of living, for many people like me.
Definition of Happiness
One of the better definitions of happiness is “an inner state of well being which enables you to profit from your highest thoughts, wisdom, intelligence, common sense, emotions, health, and spiritual values in your life. Happiness is an emotional state which is an experience and not a concept.
Happiness means different things to different people. For some, the experience of happiness is one of predominately “high arousal feelings such as joy and excitement; for others, it involves more “low arousal, but equally important, emotions such as calm, contentment, peace and tranquility Ideally, we should experience and enjoy both these forms of positive emotions, but some people tend to the high arousal end of the spectrum (e.g. extroverts) while others (e.g. introverts) might seek out low arousal forms of happiness.
In simple words, Happiness is a subjective well-being. And all of us know and agree that we want to be happy. I bet, you will ever hear any sane person saying that he/she wants to be unhappy.
Happiness Process is very simple
Become Aware-Notice- Appreciate-being happy about living in this moment.
But the challenge is to get the basic habits which allow us to be happy always, which allow us to be in this continuous state of flow.
46 ways for Happy Living
What are the common traits or habits seen universally
Here is one big list of various actions they undertake. My request to you is to read one by one and dont be in a hurry. See how many habits you already possess and what you can add more into your life.
What Happy People do! They
1. Set SMARTER goals (specific, measurable, achievable, Realistic, time bound, enjoyable & record).
2. Review goals on a regular basis (i.e. daily)
3. Eat well and exercise regularly – Maintain same time
4. Ensure they get enough sleep and rest
5. Meditate often and enjoy “wakefulness
6. Think optimistically
7. Build positive relationships
8. Find ways to utilize their strengths every single day
9. Set themselves challenges
10. Vary their routines
11. Practice appreciation and gratitude
12. Have fun & enjoy every moment of life
13. Get up early
14. Do less & not over-complicate life
15. Breathe slowly & deeply
16. Practice Patience
17. Practice compassion
18. Find their own passion
19. Are more organized
20. Simplify their finances & life
21. Accept what they have
22. Maintain focus
23. Enjoy their journey towards their goals
24. Create a morning & evening routine
25. Enjoy the simple pleasure of life
26. Write a journal
27. Read and read to their kids
28. Take time to relax & de-stress
29. Live in the present moment – Mindfulness
30. Spend sufficient time with family and loved ones
31. Pick themselves up when they are down
32. Avoid comparisons & judgements
33. Focus on benefits, not difficulties
34. Be romantic
35. Lose arguments
36. Get into the flow
37. Single task and avoid multi-tasking
38. Are economical
39. Start small and slow
40. Prefer outdoors
41. Savor the little things
42. Help others
43. Give – time, money, emotions, resources etc to others
44. Spend time with nature
45. Notice small things or changes within & outside themselves.
46. Enjoy the miracles of life.
Wow! Thats a pretty exhaustive list.
Are you a Happy Person? Do you want to be more happy & make others also happy. Do you want to create habits which can guarantee you life long happiness?
Adopt some simple actions, start small, go slow, add 10% increments, don’t skip a day, celebrate the success and be happy.
This article is an excerpt from one of my books which I am writing now…Launching soon!
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.