Mind is like a monkey, keeps jumping between past and future or the fantasy channel.
Alan Cohen says,
Imagine two lawyers in a courtroom inside your head. One is arguing for your possibilities and you achieving your goals. The other is arguing for your limits and why you don’t deserve what you want. Who will win?
The lawyer whom you pay the most. The way you pay these lawyers, however, is not with money; it is with your attention.
Where your attention goes, your mind & energy flows there.
Your mind plays a major role in holding your current attention.But your mind is always on an excursion mode.Mind keeps travelling between your past and future or to the fantasy world.
Hence, your attention keeps wandering.
Let’s test it now…Ask yourself what were you thinking few minutes before – I am for sure your mind was thinking about any one issue/situation in any one of the three realms (past, future or fantasy). It’s like riding your bicycle. By continuous microscopic adjustment of the cycle bar to the left or right, we travel straight in a cycle.
Your mind will keep jumping, but it is your responsibility to tie to the present moment awareness.
You want more success & money in your life.You want more happiness & better health in your life. Success, Happiness, Health & Money are possible only in the present moment and do not exist in the past or the future.
So, the starting point for any success journey begins by taming your powerful mind to stay in the present moment. Training your mind to be in the present moment is the key for perennial source of happiness & health.
The first and foremost skill to learn before any other skill is being mindful. When you learn to become mindful, you can take action faster than anybody else.
Mindfulness is the first step towards taking Action in life. I’ve found a more mindful life to be one of the best changes possible. Just a few of the benefits of mindfulness that I’ve discovered:·
- You’re more present, which means you’re not missing great moments by thinking about other things
- You are more connected with people you’re with
- You are more aware of urges, which means you can better change your habits·
- You notice your resistance, and negative self-talk, which means you’re not powerless to them·
Life becomes better when you savour it.
There are a bunch of health benefits, too, but beyond all the benefits, a mindful life is just a joy to live. It’s not necessarily a means to an end, it’s an end itself.
How to Be Mindful?
1. Do one thing at a time. Do Single-task and a big NO to multi-task. Remember the Zen proverb: “When walking, walk. When eating, eat.”
2. Do it slowly and deliberately.
3. Do less. If you do less, you can do those things more slowly, more completely and with more concentration.
4. Spend at least 5 minutes each day doing nothing. Just sit in silence. Become aware of your thoughts. Focus on your breathing. Notice the world around you. Become comfortable with the silence and stillness. It’ll do you a world of good and just takes 5 minutes!
5. Stop worrying about the future focus on the present. Just focus on what you’re doing, right now. Enjoy the present moment.
6. When you’re talking to someone, be present. Focus on being present, enjoy your time listening to that person.
7. Keep practicing. When you get frustrated, just take a deep breath. When you ask yourself, “What should I do now, Self? the answer is “keep practicing”.
There are many practical & simple mindfulness practices which I teach my students in my Breath@Work seminar.
By putting them in daily schedule, they have seen numerous physical, mental, emotional benefits which has helped them to achieve peak performance & happiness.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.